Friday, February 28, 2014

Aimee's Home Made Strawberry Ice Cream

I was in Afghanistan for Christmas 2012, but I managed to order Aimee a KitchenAid 6-quart standing mixer from Amazon.com.  This Valentine's day, I bought her an ice cream maker attachment for her mixer at Target.  It was on sale!  Aimee just tried it out.

The recipe requires egg yolks, so you have to cook the mixture.

Eli's into making funny faces every time we take his picture lately.

The bowl is double-walled and filled with a liquid between the walls.  You have to freeze it before using it.

Here it is, mixing away.

Strawberries!

At this point, the mixture has already turned into ice cream.

You add the strawberries near the end of the process.

Oops; we made too much!  It overloaded and made a big mess.

Into the freezer overnight.

The finished product.

I like Hershey's syrup and almonds in mine, but it really doesn't need any toppings.
It's delicious!  And it's incredibly sweet, considering how little sugar Aimee used.  But it's not overwhelmingly sweet.  We'll have to try a few more flavors.

No comments: