Saturday, November 16, 2013

Shoulder Surgery

Back in June of 1993, I was a skinny 17-year-old, who looked about 12, going through Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO.  I don't even remember how anymore, but during the bayonet assault course (I think they cut it from basic recently), I injured my left shoulder.

It hurt, but I didn't want to get recycled, and I could still function, so I just toughed it out.  That winter, going through AIT at Fort Knox, KY, I noticed my shoulder hurt whenever the weather changed - especially when it got colder or more humid.  I didn't know it then, but that's a pretty clear sign of arthritis.

Fast forward 20 years, and my shoulder deteriorated to the point where the pain was almost unbearable during my last Afghan deployment.  Upon redeploying to Fort Riley, KS, I started the long, irritating process of getting my shoulder checked out by an orthopedic surgeon.

I saw my battalion's PA first, of course.  She prescribed Motrin and physical therapy.  When that didn't help, she ordered me an MRI and referred me to an Army surgeon on post.  That surgeon diagnosed me with a torn rotator cuff, tendinitis and degenerative arthritis, but said he didn't know how to fix my shoulder and referred me to a shoulder specialist at the University of Kansas (KU).  Thank God for that!

At KU in Kansas City, Dr Munns took one look at my back and noticed something everyone else had missed.  My left infraspinatus muscle had atrophied.  He suspected that was because my suprascapular nerve was compressed, and therefore couldn't carry signals to the muscles like it's designed to.

Dr Munns referred me to a neurologist, who measured how efficiently my nerves conducted electricity.  That, ladies & gents, was a painful experience!  It confirmed, however, that my suprascapular nerve did not conduct electricity like it should.

With that information in hand, Dr Munns operated on my shoulder on 13 Nov 2013.  Keep in mind, I redeployed in early June.

Inside my messed up shoulder.  Dr Munns cleaned up the scar tissue and sowed the torn muscles back together.

Tears repaired

Dr Munns used this incision over my left scapula to relieve the pressure on my suprascapular nerve.

Arthroscopy incisions
I've spent the last couple days mostly on the hide-a-bed couch in our family room, partially lucid, doped up on Percocet.  I am definitely lucid enough, however, to realize how blessed I am.

First, I thank God for modern medicine.  My procedure was impossible only a few decades ago.  I can't imagine living with that pain indefinitely, especially since it made some of the simple pleasures in life - like rough housing with the kids or DIY projects - excruciating. 

Second, I thank God for steering me toward Dr Munns.  Not only is Dr Munns one of the most experienced shoulder surgeons in the country (he co-authored the text book KU med school uses), he was a competitive power lifter in college who's had three shoulder surgeries himself.  Consequently, he was far more understanding of my desire to return to full athletic activity.  He said it would probably take a year, but he's confident I can do so.  This is yet another example of God answering prayers in ways that - not only did I never expect - but for which I never would've thought to pray.  Dr Munns' experience led him to think my suprascapular nerve was the source of the problem, and he was right.  If not for that experience, he might have repaired my rotator cuff, only to have it tear again due to further atrophy. 

Most importantly, I thank God for Aimee and the kiddos.  These first few days of recovery have been painful, but they would've been far worse without them helping me do all the things I can't do myself (of which there is a long list).

Thank you, all who prayed for us, and please keep us in your prayers as I recover.  As you all know, Aimee is great with child, and caring for two babies (Jer-Bear and me) while carrying another is exhausting.  

Until next time. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

So glad the Lord led you to Dr. Munn and of course and even more so for Aimee and the kids. I know I'm not telling you anything, but you're surely blessed!